Friday, December 27, 2013

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

A warning ahead of time:

If you have not seen season three of Game of Thrones or the 2013 Doctor Who Christmas special, continue at your own risk. SPOILERS.

So I first need to mention that I am currently reading A Storm of Swords (Book three in A Song of Ice and Fire and 73% finished according to my kindle). I AM SO HAPPY. I won't say why, just in case you haven't read it, but I AM SO HAPPY. Cautiously happy, of course, because George RR Martin has taught me that no one is safe, but damn it! Season four is going to be so badass! BRING IT ON. I will admit that reading the death of Catelyn and Rob Stark was pretty heartbreaking. No more chapters titled Catelyn ): The worst part is the fact that she believed all but one of her children to be dead, and her only living child wed to a man that she loathes (even though I fucking love him!). I don't think that I fully thought about Bran, Rickon, and Arya being believed dead when I watched it on television.

Remember that silent roll of the credits? So very fitting.

I'm interested, because so far in the book, Theon has barely even been mentioned, so I'm not much closer to knowing his final fate. I am SO unhappy how Reek/Bolton's Bastard/Ramsay Snow was not in the second season. The burning of Winterfell was so much more gruesome in the books. After I finished the chapters, I just had this "Whoa" moment. I mostly read it right before bed, which definitely makes for some interesting dreams...

SO. Let's reflect on the Doctor Who Christmas special. Matt Smith's last episode (currently, because we could have another reunion!) was heartbreaking. I didn't get to watch it when it premiered because Christmas Day was day six of my seven day stretch, and I knew that I could not emotionally handle seeing that. Not to mention that it wasn't on until eight pm, and I had to be at work at 5:30 the next morning.

I was exhausted yesterday (Thursday the 26th) and promptly passed out when I got off of work. Several hours later.... I dragged myself out of bed and sat myself down in the living room - preparing myself for an emotional roller coaster. Totally forgot to grab a box of tissues before I began.

It was lovely. So many loose ends were tied together, and Matt's performance was absolutely beautiful. I began sobbing by the time Clara read him the poem until the very end. Felt a little awkward when my mother was in the other room, moving things around the kitchen while I was shamelessly sobbing into my blanket. I wondered how she felt about her twenty-five year old daughter sobbing over a fictional character on a long-running science fiction show about an alien who basically lives forever. Or if she thought about anything at all....

Amelia Pond, the first face this face ever saw, really just added the cherry on top of my perfectly heartbroken sundae.

Can't wait to see what this new Doctor brings!

Watching Game of Thrones.

No comments:

Post a Comment